Egypt court rejects appeal by jailed Turkish national

Resat Ozturk, 46, was sentenced in March to three years in prison for "attempting to obtain information harmful to Egypt's national security" and "establishing contact" with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Egypt court rejects appeal by jailed Turkish national

World Bulletin / News Desk

An Egyptian court rejected on Sunday an appeal filed by a Turkish national who has received a three-year prison sentence for alleged links with the embattled Muslim Brotherhood group, a judicial source said.

The court found the defense’s reasons for appeal inadequate, the source said.

The Turkish national could still file a further appeal before the Egyptian Court of Cassation, the source said.

Resat Ozturk, 46, was sentenced in March to three years in prison for "attempting to obtain information harmful to Egypt's national security" and "establishing contact" with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Ozturk, who works in textiles, was picked up by Egyptian authorities in the canal city of Suez last August.

The Turkish national emphatically denied the charges, saying he had only come to know Brotherhood members through social-networking websites.

In December of last year, Egypt's army-installed interim government designated the Brotherhood – the group from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails – a "terrorist" organization.

The move followed a deadly bombing of a Nile Delta security directorate – an act swiftly condemned by the Brotherhood, which has strenuously denied any connection to terrorism and says it remains committed to peaceful activism.

Last Mod: 30 Haziran 2014, 09:41
Add Comment