World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim on Sunday expected Qatar to ask more Muslim Brotherhood leaders and affiliates to leave in the future.
"I believe Qatar will ask more than just seven Muslim Brotherhood fugitives to leave," Ibrahim said in a press conference. "Coordination is underway with Interpol to chase these people who are wanted by Egyptian judicial authorities," he added.
Egypt's prosecutor-general on Saturday ordered the staff of a section of his office to address Interpol to arrest several Muslim Brotherhood leaders and members, including figures recently asked to leave Qatar, a judicial source said.
The source added that the Brotherhood leaders and members Egypt would ask Interpol to arrest were wanted pending investigations into criminal offences now being examined by courts in Egypt.
The Qatari government had asked seven Brotherhood leaders and associates to leave for another country, a Brotherhood source told Anadolu Agency late on Friday.
An Egyptian diplomatic source said later that the Qatari decision had boiled down to pressures from both the United States and Saudi Arabia.
The source added that politicians from Saudi Arabia and some other Gulf states had asked Qatar to take "serious" stances against some Brotherhood leaders.
The U.S. administration, the source addedd, also put pressure on Qatar to move against the Brotherhood.
A large number of Muslim Brotherhood leaders, members and affiliates had left Egypt for Qatar following last year's ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi.
The issue had soured relations between the Gulf state and Egypt, which had repeatedly asked the Qatari government to deport figures associated with the Brotherhood.
Egypt designated the Brotherhood a "terrorist" movement late last year, following a string of attacks in the country.
The movement, for its part, denies involvement in violence and reiterates commitment to peaceful activism.
Egypt inquiry to probe Brotherhood lack of cooperation
A fact-finding commission into events that followed last year's ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi said late on Sunday that it would investigate the reasons why Muslim Brotherhood leaders had decided not to cooperate with it.
Commission head Fouad Abdel-Monem Riyad said his commission members were ready to listen to the accounts of the leaders of the Brotherhood, the movement from which Morsi hails, as well as the relatives of victims of post-Morsi ouster violence on this violence.
"We are not against anybody," Riyad told Anadolu Agency. "We are open to any criticism and statements issued by the leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood," he added.
A meeting was scheduled to take place between Riyad and Mohamed Ali Beshr, a senior Muslim Brotherhood figure and the local development minister under Morsi, on Monday.
On Sunday, however, Beshr called off the meeting, saying, according to a statement from his office, that the commission had used his contacts with it politically.
Later in the day, the Brotherhood mentioned several reasons for not cooperating with the commission.
It said these reasons included what it described as the "political bias" of the members of the commission, chasing some witnesses, the fact that the commission would hand its findings to Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, and the lack of protection for witnesses.
Riyad's fact-finding commission was formed by presidential decree last December to collect information and evidence on events that followed the June 30 protests that precipitated Morsi's ouster.
The Brotherhood had earlier turned down an invitation to cooperate with the commission due to what it described as "a disregard" for the group's point of view in the past.
Morsi supporters had staged a sit-in in eastern Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya Square to protest the elected leader's ouster by the military on July 3 following protests against his government.
The violent dispersal of the sit-in, along with a second sit-in in Giza's Nahda Square, left 632 people, including eight policemen, dead, according to the state-run National Council for Human Rights.
Other local and international human rights groups, however, said fatalities from the sit-in dispersal had exceeded 1,000.Last Mod: 15 Eylül 2014, 09:43