World Bulletin / News Desk
The Public Prosecution in Suez on Sunday renewed the detention of a Turkish national for 15 days pending investigation into alleged charges of seeking to obtain information about national security and being in contact with Muslim Brotherhood leaders who incite violence.
Judicial sources said Resat Ozturk was moved to Attaqa Prison in Suez.
This is the sixth time the detention of the Turkish national is renewed pending investigations.
Ozturk was arrested by Egyptian police in the canal city of Suez on August 19 on allegations of "cooperating with and spying for the Muslim Brotherhood."
Ozturk, who works in the textile industry, has denied the charges, saying he only became friends with some Muslim Brotherhood members through social media.
Alper Bosuter, an adviser at the Turkish embassy in Cairo, had earlier dismissed the spying charges against the Turkish national.
"Ozturk has been in Egypt for two years to study Arabic," Bosuter told the Anadolu Agency after the arrest.
According to the diplomat, Ozturk had attended peaceful protests in Egypt "out of curiosity," later posting photos of the demonstrations on social-networking websites.
"But the Egyptian authorities arrested him because of certain comments on the photos and because of his presence at a public square in Suez following the [August 14] dispersal of protest camps in support of ousted President Mohamed Morsi," said Bosuter.Last Mod: 02 Aralık 2013, 09:48