World Bulletin / News Desk
The April 6 youth movement vowed on Tuesday to take legal action against a court ruling banning its activities in Egypt, which the group described as a "politically-motivated decision."
"The current regime is using the Judiciary to settle scores with the opposition," group member Ahmed Kamal told a press conference in Cairo.
Egypt's Court for Urgent Matters on Monday banned the activities of the key protest movement and ordered the confiscation of its offices across Egypt on charges of tarnishing the country's reputation and spying for other countries.
Mainly made up of young political activists, April 6 was at the forefront of the January 25 uprising that ended the autocracy of longstanding president Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
In the months following the uprising, the group was accused by the then-ruling military council of "sowing sedition between the people and the army" – an allegation the group strenuously denies.
"The court of urgent matters has no legal jurisdiction to ban any political group," Kamal said, rendering the verdict "null and void".
Sherif al-Hossari, a leading figure in the group's breakaway Democratic Front, said the group will appeal the court verdict, which he said was a reflection of "the regime's interference in the work of the Judiciary."
The April 6 group has mobilized for the June 30 protests in 2013 which led to the military's ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood.
However, the group has voiced increasing criticism of the current military-backed authorities which it accuses of attempting to restore the Mubarak regime.
Monday's ruling can be appealed within 15 days. The movement can also submit a request to suspend the implementation of the ruling until the appeal is considered.
The movement's founder, Ahmed Maher, is serving a three-year jail term for staging an unlicensed protest in November last year.Last Mod: 30 Nisan 2014, 09:45