World Bulletin / News Desk
A senior Muslim Brotherhood member in Egypt on Monday dismissed claims by the Interior Ministry that the group had formed a "military wing" tasked with taking up arms against Egyptian security forces.
"The group has not formed any military wings [for use] against the police and army; all our activities are devoted to peacefulness," Mohamed Ali Beshr told Anadolu Agency.
"The Brotherhood denounces violence and terror in all forms, as they pose a clear threat to the country's stability," he said.
On Sunday, the Interior Ministry accused Brotherhood "militants" of being behind a deadly attack on a security checkpoint in the central Beni Sueif province last month that left five policemen dead.
According to the ministry, investigations have revealed that the Brotherhood ordered the formation of a military wing to targeted police and military personnel and facilities.
In recent months, Egypt has been rocked by a number of bombings targeting security sites.
Last month, one such bombing outside the Cairo Security Directorate claimed four lives and injured scores of others.
In December, a bombing outside a Nile Delta police headquarters killed 16, mostly policemen, and left dozens injured.
Two days after the December blast, the government declared the Brotherhood a "terrorist" group despite the group's repeated denials of any involvement in the attack.Last Mod: 10 Şubat 2014, 12:23