World Bulletin/News Desk
The European Union's top diplomat follows with concern the latest developments in Egypt and deeply deplores the loss of life during the demonstrations, a spokesperson for EU's Catherine Ashton said Saturday in a statement.
Early on Saturday morning, Egyptian security forces used live fire on Morsi supporters at Rabaa al-Adawiya Square, the site of a month-long pro-Morsi sit-in, killing at least 200 people and wounding 4,500 others.
"I am following with concern the latest developments in Egypt and deeply deplore the loss of life during yesterday's demonstrations. I call on the responsible interim authorities to ensure peaceful and orderly demonstrations. I also call on all actors to refrain from violence and to respect the principles of peaceful protest and non-violence. Human Rights, including the fundamental freedoms of association and expression must be respected."
The High Representative emphasised that "confrontation is not a solution," adding, "the only solution is a rapid move to an inclusive transformation process. Reconciliation and dialogue are paramount at this critical juncture. There is no room for hate-speech and other forms of incitement. All political groups, including the Muslim Brotherhood, must be involved in the transformation process, which should lead to a constitutional order, free and fair elections and a civilian-led government. A credible return to a democratic transition requires political steering and discourse with no interference from actors outside the democratic framework."
"The High Representative remains in ongoing contact with key interlocutors and called on all political groups to continue their efforts to find a peaceful solution for a stable, prosperous and democratic Egypt."
Meanwhile, Swedish Minister of Foreign Affairs Carl Bildt said in his Twitter account, "I’m horrified by the large number of dead in the demonstrations in Egypt. Security forces can’t avoid responsibility."
"(Ashton) is following with concern the latest developments in Egypt and deeply deplores the loss of life during yesterday's demonstrations ... She also calls on all actors to refrain from violence and to respect the principles of peaceful protest and non-violence," a spokeswoman for Ashton had said earlier.
The army ousted Morsi on July 3 following mass protests against his regime, suspended the Constitution and installed Adly Mansour, the head of the Constitutional Court, as interim president.
Since then, Morsi supporters have been staging almost daily demonstrations and sit-ins nationwide to demand his reinstatement as the location where he is being detained remains undisclosed.
The Brotherhood is bracing for a broad crackdown by the army to wipe out a movement that emerged from decades of persecution during Egypt's 2011 Arab Spring uprising against autocrat Hosni Mubarak, only to be deposed after a year in government.
When being overthrown by the military, President Morsi had likewise urged, “resist the coup without resorting to violence.”
"Al-Sisi ignored all the (pro-Morsi) protests across the country on Friday and only saw his supporters in Tahrir Square and the Ittihadiya presidential palace," group spokesperson Ahmed Aref told the Anadolu Agency.
"This bone-shattering message will not intimidate the Egyptian people who took to the streets in the millions," Aref said, referring to security forces firing on pro-Morsi crowds.
On the other hand, an Egyptian army spokesman posted a brief statement on his official Facebook page "thanking" the Egyptian people who assembled in Tahrir Square and the Ittihadiya presidential palace yesterday to show their support for the military.
Mohamed al-Beltagi, a senior Brotherhood leader, expressed that "We will not go anywhere until the reinstatement of the elected president, the parliament and the constitution, and the prosecution of the killers."
"We see snipers around us everywhere, but we will maintain our position peacefully," he added.Last Mod: 27 Temmuz 2013, 17:35