Israel approves new Hebron settler homes

Israel advances plans for first new settler homes in Hebron in 15 years 

Israel approves new Hebron settler homes

World Bulletin / News Desk

Israel's military authority in the occupied West Bank on Monday approved permits for new settler homes in Hebron for the first time in 15 years. 

Peace Now, a group that monitors and campaigns against illegal settlements, said an Israeli Civil Administration committee approved construction permits for 31 homes in Hebron, a city which is heavily militarized because of its large settler presence. 

“The settlement in Hebron represents the occupation in its most ugly. In order to protect a small group of settlers, tens of thousands of Palestinians had been forced to move from their homes and roads and shops had been closed," Peace Now said in a statement. 

"The permits approved today would increase the number of settlers in Hebron by 20%, and they required significant legal acrobatics that might not stand the test of the High Court of Justice." 

The Israeli authority will also discuss 2,400 more settlement units elsewhere in the occupied West Bank this week.

International law views the West Bank and East Jerusalem as occupied territories and considers all Jewish settlement-building activity there as illegal. 

Nevertheless, roughly 500,000 Israelis now live on more than 100 Jewish-only settlements built on these territories since 1967. 

 
Last Mod: 16 Ekim 2017, 17:50
Add Comment