World Bulletin / News Desk
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared his intention to encourage the establishment of a new settlement in Hebron at a house owned by the Al-Rajabi family, with an area of 4,000 meters squared, reported the Middle East Monitor.
Israel's Peace Now movement revealed on Monday that the Israeli authorities are planning to build a new settlement in the heart of the occupied Palestinian city of Hebron. It warned that this move might undermine all peace efforts in the region.
The movement explained that this would be the first new settlement in Hebron since the 1980s, and that it would have "potentially devastating consequences" for both the Palestinian residents of Hebron, increasing the tensions and violence in that already volatile city, as well as the ongoing peace talks, including the two-state solution.
In the wake of the death of an Israeli soldier in Hebron last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared his intention to encourage the establishment of a new settlement in Hebron at a house owned by the Al-Rajabi family, with an area of 4,000 meters squared.
While the movement said that, "The new settlement is facing legal hurdles that may postpone it for months or even years," with Netanyahu's support the settlement "is likely to take place in the coming days or weeks."
The movement is expecting a ruling from the Israeli High Court of Justice on the case regarding the settlers' ownership of the large property in the heart of Hebron.
It said, "It is almost certain that the court will rule that the settlers own the property."Last Mod: 02 Ekim 2013, 12:15