World Bulletin / News Desk
The Israeli army said on Sunday that it attacked with three rockets a Syrian site in response to the firing of a missile on the occupied Golan Heights from Syria earlier.
Israeli sources said earlier that a missile was fired from Syria on the Golan, which has been occupied by Israel since 1967.
The website of the Israeli newspaper Jerusalem Post quoted one of these sources as saying that the missile attack did not leave any human or material casualties behind.
Even with this, it is not clear whether the missile attack on the Golan was a result of the civil war in Syria or in response to the current Israeli onslaught on the Gaza Strip.
Around 168 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed and hundreds injured since Israel launched "Operation Protective Edge" in the Gaza Strip on Monday with the stated goal of ending rocket fire from the strip.
Since then, Israeli warplanes have staged hundreds of airstrikes on the Gaza Strip – home to around 1.8 million Palestinians - while ground troops remain amassed on the Strip's borders in advance of a possible ground assault.
Gaza-based resistance factions, for their part, have continued to fire hundreds of rockets into Israel, some of which have reached Tel Aviv, in response to the ongoing offensive.
No Israeli fatalities have been reported thus far.Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Temmuz 2014, 09:44