Judges withdraw from 2011 Cairo clashes trial

Citing "uneasiness," the Cairo Criminal Court referred the case to the Appeals Court, which will choose another court to hear the case, sources said.

Judges withdraw from 2011 Cairo clashes trial

World Bulletin / News Desk

Judges presiding over the case of deadly 2011 clashes in Cairo between security forces and protesters opposed to military rule withdrew from the case on Thursday, judicial sources said.

Citing "uneasiness," the Cairo Criminal Court referred the case to the Appeals Court, which will choose another court to hear the case, sources said.

The 2011 clashes, known as "the Cabinet incidents," erupted when police stationed outside Egyptian Cabinet headquarters assaulted a protester. The protester, along with several others, had been staging a sit-in against the appointment of Kamal al-Ganzouri to the premiership by Egypt's then-ruling Supreme Military Council.

Around 15 people were killed and hundreds injured in the ensuing violence.

The 269 defendants in the case face charges of illegal assembly, arson and assaulting police and army personnel.

Defense lawyers told judges that security agencies were taking "arbitrary measures" to secure the trial and refused to enter the courthouse in protest. This prompted the judges to withdraw from the case, according to the sources.

Last Mod: 28 Kasım 2013, 16:15
Add Comment