World Bulletin / News Desk
The Syrian army fired a missile into the last opposition-held neighbourhood of the central city of Homs killing 17 people, most of them civilians, a monitoring group said on Sunday.
Four children and four women were among the dead in Saturday's strike, the Syrian Observatory for Human Right said.
Nearly all of Homs has been under government control since opposition fighters pulled out of the historic heart of the city in May last year under a UN-brokered deal to end a devastating two-year siege.
There have been repeated efforts to organise a similar deal for the Waer neighbourhood where more than 100,000 civilians live under opposition control surrounded by government forces.
A number of temporary ceasefires have been arranged to allow in aid but a lasting truce has proved elusive, with each side accusing the other of hobbling the negotiations.
The missile strike on the enclave came as a UN-brokered truce deal to evacuate 10,000 civilians from two pro-government villages in northwestern Syria under siege by opposition ran into trouble on Saturday.
Protesters in neighbouring opposition-held territory in Idlib province blocked roads, preventing the planned evacuation by the Red Crescent from getting under way.
The opposition, who have laid siege to Fuaa and Kafraya for two months, agreed to their evacuation in return for safe passage for some 600 opposition fighters who have been surrounded by pro-government forces in the town of Zabadani near the Lebanese border.
Syria's third largest city, Homs was one of the first places where opposition took up arms against President Bashar al-Assad's rule in 2011.
But after years of fighting which killed tens of thousands of people and caused widespread destruction, the suburb of Waer is the last redoubt of the opposition.Last Mod: 27 Eylül 2015, 12:33