Worl Bultein / News Desk
Morocco said on Saturday it had dismantled a cell sending fighters to Syria and Iraq to join ISIS and mount attacks on returning home.
The cell, authorities say they have uncovered, had been active in the city of Meknes and the towns of El-Hajeb and El-Hoceima in the Northern Rif mountains, the interior ministry said in a statement.
It said the head of the cell had been in contact with ISIS and had sent volunteers.
"According to intelligence reports, Moroccans fighting in Syria and Iraq have been trained in handling weapons and manufacturing explosives to perpetrate attacks once they return to Morocco," the statement said.
"Some of the eight members of the cell have been convicted in other terrorism cases in the past."
A Moroccan security source told the government thinks nearly 2,000 Moroccans have fought in Syria's civil war and in Iraq with ISIS.
"Some 200 have returned home and all of them were arrested, mainly at the airport when their flights landed," the source said.Last Mod: 17 Ocak 2015, 17:53