Morsi Ittihadiya trial adjourned to March 1

Morsi and 14 other defendants are charged with inciting the murder of opposition demonstrators during clashes outside Cairo's Ittihadiya presidential palace.

Morsi Ittihadiya trial adjourned to March 1

World Bulletin / News Desk

An Egyptian court on Wednesday adjourned to March 1 trial proceedings for ousted president Mohamed Morsi and others accused of inciting the murder of opposition protesters in late 2012.

At a fifth court session, presiding judges adjourned the trial to allow a three-member technical committee tasked with examining evidence for the prosecution to prepare a report. They also wanted more time to hear the prosecution's response to defense lawyers' assertions that the court lacked the authority to try the case.

An Anadolu Agency correspondent who attended Wednesday's session said the eight defendants who attended the 75-minute session had not been allowed to speak.

A lawyer for the plaintiffs, meanwhile, called for summoning Defense Minister Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi so the latter might give testimony.

Another lawyer called for summoning former intelligence chief Murad Muwafi, even though he was removed from his post four months before the incidents in question.

Defense lawyers, for their part, urged the court to consider an interview by activist Mamdou Hamza in which he said that around 2,000 protesters were heading towards Cairo's Ittihadiya presidential palace – outside which the protesters were killed – with the intention of storming it.

Defense lawyers also called on the court to refrain from hearing witnesses for the prosecution until the technical committee had submitted its report.

Morsi and 14 other defendants – including several top Muslim Brotherhood leaders – are charged with inciting the murder of opposition demonstrators during clashes that broke out between Morsi's supporters and opponents outside Cairo's Ittihadiya presidential palace in late 2012.

Seven of the defendants are being tried in absentia.

A total of 11 people were killed in the clashes, but the case against Morsi and his fellow defendants only addresses the death of a reporter and two anti-Morsi protesters.

The families of the eight other victims, said to be Muslim Brotherhood members, had earlier asked that their slain relatives be added to the list of victims in the case. They had also requested that other figures, who they believe to be responsible for the deaths, be added to the list of trial defendants.

Morsi, Egypt's first democratically elected president, was unseated by Egypt's military last July following protests against his one year in office.

Last Mod: 05 Şubat 2014, 14:42
Add Comment