World Bulletin / News Desk
The defense team of ousted president Mohamed Morsi and 14 other defendants will unveil "surprises" in their trial for allegedly inciting the murder of demonstrators outside Cairo's Ittihadiya presidential palace in late 2012, a lawyer said.
"The surprises will be announced in due course," defense lawyer Ayman Nahed told Anadolu Agency on Saturday.
The trial is due to resume on Sunday.
"It does not serve the interest of the defendants to unveil the surprises in Sunday's session," Nahed said.
He argued that the defense team "would wait for the results of a report by TV experts on CDs containing footage of the clashes" that led to the death of anti-Morsi demonstrators.
The Ittihadiya trial had been suspended to consider a request by a defense lawyer for the recusal of trial judges on the ground that one of the judges, namely Ahmed Suleiman, had made a television appearance last month in which he had already "issued his ruling in the case."
The court, however, had turned down the recusal request.
While a total of 11 people – including eight Morsi supporters – were killed in the violence, the trial only addresses the death of one reporter and two anti-Morsi protesters.
Morsi, Egypt's first democratically elected leader, was ousted by the military last July – after only one year in office – following protests against presidency.
He currently faces four different trials for multiple charges, including espionage, jailbreak and "offending the judiciary."
Morsi, along with all of his co-defendants, insists that the charges against him are politically motivated.Last Mod: 22 Mart 2014, 16:56