Palestinian MP warns of kidnapping pattern in Jerusalem

Palestinian teenagers in Jerusalem kidnapped and beaten in the city a day earlier

Palestinian MP warns of kidnapping pattern in Jerusalem

World Bulletin/News Desk

Palestinian lawmaker Mariam Saleh warned that extremist Jewish settlers might be increasingly targeting Palestinian teenagers in Jerusalem following the kidnapping and beating of a Palestinian boy in the city a day earlier.

The incident, Saleh said in a statement Wednesday, was reminiscent of the murder of Palestinian teenager Mohamed Abu Khdeer, who was burned alive by extremist Jewish settlers after having kidnapped him outside his East Jerusalem home in July.

The father of 16-year-old Magdy Ramadan told local news outlets that he found his now-hospitalized son on Tuesday lying on the floor in East Jerusalem's Beit Hanina town after he had gone missing for several hours.

He said that three Jewish settlers crashed into his son's motorcycle with a car, then they knocked him unconscious using a gun and put him inside the vehicle's trunk.

He also said that Israeli police, which had been informed of Ramadan's disappearance, are investigating the incident.

"What happened on Tuesday by assailants believed to be Jewish settlers portends a dangerous phenomenon that requires popular committees to protect Palestinians from settlers," Saleh, a leader in Palestinian Hamas resistance movement, said.

Tension spurred by Abu Khdeer's killing, which left several Palestinian protesters wounded in clashes with Israeli forces, still reverberates through the Jerusalem.

Over the past two weeks, Israeli forces have repeatedly clashed with Palestinian protesters in East Jerusalem angered Israel's closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque compound last Thursday following the shooting of an extremist Jewish rabbi in west Jerusalem.

Israeli authorities reopened Al-Aqsa a day later following the violent confrontations, but barred male Muslim worshippers under 50 years old from entering the religious site.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, for his part, warned that the closure of the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound constituted a "declaration of war" against the Palestinian people and their sacred places.

 

Last Mod: 05 Kasım 2014, 10:21
Add Comment