World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's anti-coup National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy said on Sunday that it had taken an initial decision to boycott Egypt's May presidential elections.
The alliance, which backs ousted president Mohamed Morsi, said it may reconsider its position when the final list of presidential candidates is announced.
"New political developments can emerge," spokesperson Magdi Qorqor told Anadolu Agency.
Earlier today, the election commission set May 26 and 27 as the date for the first round of the presidential elections.
Army chief Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, who announced the ouster of Morsi on July 3, and former presidential contender Hamdeen Sabahi had earlier announced their intention to contest the polls.
Qorqor said they oppose the presidential elections because they are the result of what he described as an "illegal" political process.
"It is built on a wrong foundation, namely the July 3 coup," he insisted, referring to Morsi's ouster.
Qorqor said the initial position of the alliance is not to field any presidential candidate or support a running contender.
The alliance boycotted a referendum on an amended version of the 2012 constitution in mid-January.
The referendum was the first step in the post-Morsi transitional roadmap set by the military after consultations with political and religious leaders.Last Mod: 30 Mart 2014, 19:31