Protests on 3rd anniversary of Egypt revolution

Egypt's anti-coup bloc plans protests to mark the 3rd anniversary of 2011's January 25 revolution which saw Hosni Mubarak resign.

Protests on 3rd anniversary of Egypt revolution

World Bulletin / News Desk

Anti-coup groups staged two early morning rallies in the coastal city of Alexandria Saturday on the third anniversary of the January 25 revolution that ousted long-serving president Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

Flag-waving members of the "7Elsob" ("7am") chanted slogans for toppling the military-backed regime and against the army and police.

They also flashed the four-fingered Rabaa sign in memory of hundreds of supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi when their protest camp in Cairo was violently dispersed in mid-August.

Saturday's rallies are part of a "revolutionary wave" called by the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, Morsi's main support bloc, who announced 35 starting points in Cairo and Giza for planned Saturday marches to mark the third anniversary of the 2011 uprising that ended the 30-year rule of autocratic president Hosni Mubarak.

"Egypt is reeling under the rule of a treacherous gang that has proven a failure at everything, even in protecting security headquarters," the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy declared in a statement late Friday.

Marches will set out following noon prayers from 35 different assembly points, all of them mosques, the statement said.

Supporters of the military have announced plans to stage marches on the anniversary, while Morsi backers intend to mark the occasion by launching a new "revolutionary wave."

One person was killed when an explosive device went off early Saturday outside a police academy in eastern Cairo.

Unidentified people threw two bombs at the academy in Ain Shams district but only one bomb exploded, the source said.

Health Ministry spokesman Ahmed Kamel said that one person sustained "minor" injures in the explosion.

Clashes on eve of anniversary, 17 dead

On the eve of the anniversary, medical sources and eyewitnesses said at least 17 people had been killed and scores injured in seven different provinces in protest-related clashes between Egyptian police – who fired teargas and birdshot – and stone-throwing protesters.

The clashes followed four bombings that hit four different areas in Cairo and Giza, which left six people dead and many more injured.

The worst scenes of violence were seen in Egypt's central Beni Sueif province, where five people were killed in clashes between protesters and security forces.

Health Ministry Undersecretary Ahmed Anwar told Anadolu Agency that four of the fatalities had died after sustaining gunshot injuries.

In the adjacent Fayoum province, three people were gunned down in similar violence, eyewitnesses said.

Another two people were killed in the Upper Egyptian Minya province, meanwhile, and a young man was killed in clashes in the Nile Delta province of Damietta.

Two others were killed in clashes in the Beheira province, also in the Nile Delta, eyewitnesses said.

A source with the anti-coup National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy said that one person had suffocated to death due to excessive teargas used by security forces to disperse protests in southern Cairo's Helwan district.

Three other people were killed in Giza's Imbaba district during clashes between security forces and pro-democracy protesters. The three died after sustaining gunshot wounds, medical sources said.

The Health Ministry, for its part, has said that only 12 people were killed in six provinces, while 75 others were injured.

According to the Interior Ministry, 237 "rioters" were arrested during Friday protests in several provinces.

In a statement, the ministry said some had been arrested in possession of Molotov cocktails, bladed weapons and sticks.

A car bomb that targeted a Cairo police headquarters left at least four people dead and 51 injured, while a soldier was killed and 15 others injured in a second blast near a Giza metro station.

A third explosive device went off near a police station on Al-Haram Street west of Cairo. No casualties were reported.

Brotherhood, anti-coup bloc blame gov't for Egypt bombings

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and the country's major anti-coup alliance have blamed the army-installed interim authorities for a series of bombings on Friday.

In a statement, the Brotherhood condemned the blasts and claimed they only serve the interim government and help it justify taking "certain measures."

The group, from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails, did not clarify what are these measures.

Meanwhile, the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, Morsi's main support bloc, slammed the bombings as "a preemptive move to hinder the new revolutionary wave."

The alliance also held the "coup authorities" responsible for the attacks, citing earlier statements by Interior Mohamed Ibrahim about tight security measures around police headquarters.

Last Mod: 25 Ocak 2014, 10:59
Add Comment