World Bulletin/News Desk
A senior army commander on Sunday survived an attempt on his life when unknown militants opened their gunfire on his convoy in southern Yemen, a military source said.
"The assailants opened their gunfire on the convoy of Lt. Gen. Marzouk al-Sayadi on the outskirts of the southern Lahij province," the source told The Anadolu Agency on condition of anonymity.
He added that one of al-Sayadi's escorts had been killed in the attack, while another escort was wounded.
The source said Al-Qaeda had most likely stood behind the attack, which had not been officially claimed by any group yet.
The Yemeni government has not commented on the attack either.
Last month, Yemeni authorities announced the death of a leading Al-Qaeda member and the injury of his colleague during clashes with security forces in Lahij.
The Houthis' Ansarullah movement, which has links to Shi'ite Iran, has become the main political force in Yemen since it captured Sanaa in September and then pushed into the country's Sunni Muslim heartland south and west of the capital.
The bombs targeted Houthi checkpoints and some houses, the ministry website quoted Sanaa's director of security as saying. Two other devices were dismantled, the ministry added.
A medical source said eight people had been wounded and three of them were in a critical condition.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombs.
The southern province, along with several other provinces in Yemen, has recently been the scene of armed clashes between security forces and local vigilante groups, on one hand, and Al-Qaeda, on the other.
Al-Qaeda remains active in several districts of southern Yemen, from which it continues to stage sporadic attacks on army and police targets.
Yemen has been dogged by turmoil since pro-democracy protests forced president Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down in 2012 after 33 years in office.Last Mod: 08 Aralık 2014, 09:52