World Bulletin / News Desk
Former defense minister and potential presidential candidate Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi has ruled out the return to pre-January revolution Egypt, according to his campaign.
"There's no going back," al-Sisi said during a meeting with the members of the state National Council for Women, according to a Sunday statement by his campaign.
He said nobody will be able to bring Egypt back to the situation before the 2011 revolution – which ended the 30-year of president Hosni Mubarak.
"Nobody can control the Egyptian people who staged two great revolutions," added the former army chief.
Al-Sisi, seen by many as the driving force behind the army's ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi last July, resigned last month to contest the presidential elections, scheduled for May 26-27.
"It's the public opinion that leads Egypt at the present time," he told the National Council for Women delegation.
"The Egypt condition cannot allow anybody to lead this country in an authoritarian or undemocratic manner," added al-Sisi.
The former army chief is seen by many as the frontrunner in the May elections.
His candidacy has, however, fanned the anger of Morsi supporters who said the move shows that Sisi's ouster of the elected Islamist president was nothing more than a "military coup".Last Mod: 14 Nisan 2014, 10:03