Syria regime forces press advance in north Aleppo

The regime advance is being aided by dozens of air strikes by Russian forces

Syria regime forces press advance in north Aleppo

World Bulletin / News Desk

Syrian regime forces have taken several key villages north of the city of Aleppo as they press an advance that could break a long-running opposition siege of two Shiite villages.

On Tuesday, Syrian state news agency SANA said regime troops backed by pro-regime militants had "restored security and stability to the village of Hardatneen."

The capture was also reported by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, which said regime forces had also seized part of the nearby village of Ratyan.

The advances come after regime forces, backed by Russian air strikes, seized two other villages in the area on Monday.

They bring regime troops within five kilometres (three miles) of the Shiite villages of Nubol and Zahraa, which are under regime control but have been besieged by opposition forces for over two years.

Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said the capture of Ratyan and one smaller village could allow regime forces to effectively break the siege on Nubol and Zahraa, a longstanding regime goal.

Abdel Rahman said the regime advance was being aided by dozens of air strikes by Russian forces, who entered the conflict in late September seeking to bolster President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

He said more than 15 regime and over 20 opposition fighters had been killed in the fighting since Monday, but had no specific toll.

The regime advance comes almost exactly a year after a similar regime offensive aimed at reaching Nubol and Zahraa and severing opposition supply lines into Aleppo city.

The city has been divided between regime control in the west and opposition control in the east after fighting there began in mid-2012.

The situation is largely reversed in the surrounding countryside, with opposition controlling much of the area west of the city, and the regime present to the east.

Last year's regime offensive saw troops capture several villages in the area, but it stalled after a opposition counterattack and stormy weather.

The current offensive is one of several the regime has launched since Russian strikes began on September 30.

More than 260,000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict began with anti-regime protests in March 2011.

Last Mod: 02 Şubat 2016, 13:21
Add Comment