World Bulletin / News Desk
An Egyptian court on Thursday set April 17 to look into an appeal lodged by a Turkish national recently jailed for alleged links with the Muslim Brotherhood, a judicial source said.
On Sunday, a court in the northeastern Suez province sentenced Resat Ozturk, 46, to three years in prison for attempting to "obtain information harmful to Egypt's national security" and "establishing contact" with the Muslim Brotherhood group.
Ozturk, who works in textiles, was arrested by Egyptian authorities in Suez last August.
The Turkish national emphatically denies the charges, saying he had only come to know Brotherhood members through social-networking websites.
In December of last year, Egypt's army-installed interim government designated the Brotherhood – the group from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails – a "terrorist" organization.
The move had followed the deadly bombing of a Nile Delta security directorate – an act swiftly condemned by the Brotherhood, which has strenuously denied any connection to terrorism and says it remains committed to peaceful protest.Last Mod: 04 Nisan 2014, 09:38