World media criticize S.Arabia's lack of cooperation

European, US, and Mideast media cover Turkish prosecutor's statement on Khashoggi killing and talks with Saudi prosecutor

World media criticize S.Arabia's lack of cooperation

International media coverage of Turkish prosecutors’ statement that a Saudi journalist was strangled as soon as he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, and that his body was later dismembered, was largely critical of Saudi officials, and especially their refusal to cooperate with the Turkish investigation.

The U.S. press highlighted Istanbul Chief Prosecutor Irfan Fidan's investigation of the Jamal Khashoggi killing, highlighting the question of where his body is.

The Washington Post -- which Khashoggi wrote for -- carried the headline, "Prosecutor says Khashoggi was strangled and dismembered, but fate of body still a mystery,” saying Fidan laid out the most detailed official description to date of how Khashoggi was killed. 

"But the new information did not address the question that has bedeviled investigators and been the subject of furious speculation: What happened to Khashoggi’s remains?" it wrote.

The story said a senior Turkish official was working on the theory that Khashoggi's body was melted with acid somewhere around the consulate or the residence of the consul general.

The New York Times said the Khashoggi killing "has significantly raised tensions between Saudi Arabia and Turkey."

"Western intelligence analysts and Turkish officials have maintained that the operation could not have been carried out without the consent of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the de facto leader of Saudi Arabia," it wrote.

Bin Salman this week sent Saudi Attorney General Saud al-Mujeb to Istanbul, but Fidan's statement said the talks were not fruitful.

The Wall Street Journal ran the headline, "Turkish Prosecutors Criticize Lack of Saudi Clarity on Fate of Journalist’s Body." 

Its sub-headline said: "Talks in Istanbul fail to solve mystery of what happened to remains of Jamal Khashoggi after he was killed at consulate."

"The Saudi prosecutor, who invited Istanbul prosecutors to Riyadh to cooperate on the probe, also appeared to distance himself from comments that the killing had been premeditated," the Journal added.

Saudi authorities initially said the body was given to "a local operator" or “collaborator,” a claim later denied by al-Mujeb. 

CNN said the Turkish prosecutor's statement is the "clearest yet from the Turkish authorities about" the fate of Khashoggi, whose remains have not yet been found.

U.S. network ABC reported that the Turkish prosecutor publicly confirmed for the first time that Khashoggi was strangled and his body was dismembered.

It said Turkish authorities have asked the Saudis where they disposed of Khashoggi's body but have gotten no response. 

The Associated Press said Turkey was seeking the extradition of 18 suspects in the journalist’s killing who were detained in Saudi Arabia.

"It also is pressing Saudi Arabia for information about who ordered Khashoggi’s killing and the location of his remains," said the story.

Add Comment