World Bulletin/News Desk
A committee appointed by Yemen's presidency to mediate a ceasefire in the northern Al-Jawf province between the army and allied tribes on one hand and Shia Houthi militants on the other was reassigned to try to restore calm in the volatile province, a tribal source said Sunday.
President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi ordered the reassignment of the committee while adding Jawf governor Mohamed al-Sherif, Maarib governor Sultan al-Aradah and military police chief Awad Farid to its line-up, the source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Anadolu Agency.
The committee would try to mediate a ceasefire and enforce an earlier truce deal that was signed earlier this month between the army and allied tribes on one hand and Shia Houthi militants, he added.
Clashes flared up again in the restive province on Friday, one day after the mediation committee declared failure to consolidate the ceasefire and withdrew from the disputed areas.
At least 15 Yemeni tribesmen were killed over Friday and Saturday in clashes with Shia Houthi militants in the northeast of the country, an official source said.
"Dozens were killed in clashes between the Houthi militants and tribesmen in Al-Safraa area on the border between Al-Jawf and Maarib provinces," the source told Anadolu Agency on the condition of anonymity.
"At least 15 tribesmen were among the deaths," he added.
Clashes are still raging in the region, but casualties are yet to be determined, the source said.
Committee member Mohamed Daraan blamed the Houthi group for the deadlock, saying it “repeatedly stalled a deal.”
Clashes first erupted in Al-Jawf between Houthis and local tribesmen in April, resulting in casualties on both sides.
A few weeks ago, the mediation committee succeeded in forging a temporary ceasefire, but this proved short-lived.
Al-Jawf is strategically important in that it is located near Yemen's eastern Maarib province, the center of the country's oil production.
CLASHES IN HADRAMOUT
Meanwhile, two Yemeni soldiers and four suspected militants were killed when soldiers raided a house used by insurgents in the restive eastern province of Hadramout, a local security official said on Sunday.
Hadramout has seen an increased level of activity by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which was driven out of the southern provinces of Shabwa and Abyan earlier this year by a combined U.S. drone and Yemeni army onslaught.
The September 26 Defence Ministry website quoted a military source as saying the raid took place in the town of al-Qatan after midnight. It said one soldier had been killed and five were wounded. The statement also added that four militants were killed and five "terrorist elements" were arrested.
On Saturday a local official said a drone attack had killed three suspected al Qaeda militants in Hadramout. And on Thursday three Yemeni soldiers and two al Qaeda militants were killed when security forces foiled an attack involving multiple car bombs there.Last Mod: 17 Ağustos 2014, 13:22