Yemeni army in major ground offensive against militants

A local official said at least five Yemeni government soldiers were killed in the fighting, in which hundreds of volunteers from a local militia known as the Popular Committees are taking part.

Yemeni army in major ground offensive against militants

World Bulletin/News Desk

Yemeni troops, backed by air force planes, launched a major offensive against al Qaeda strongholds in the south of the country on Tuesday to try to eradicate the militant group that had killed hundreds since 2011.

A local official said at least five Yemeni government soldiers were killed in the fighting, in which hundreds of volunteers from a local militia known as the Popular Committees are taking part.

The operation came less than two weeks after more than 55 suspected militants died in a series of air strikes on the militants' main hideout in a remote northern district in Abyan Province, in southern Yemen.

"Heroes of the armed and security forces, in cooperation with the Popular Committees, are determined to destroy the remnants of the terrorist elements in al-Mahfad area," Abyan governor Jamal al-Aqel was quoted on the Defence Ministry website as saying.

Militants from AQAP and its allies in the local Ansar al-Sharia group fled to the mountainous area in 2012 after Yemen's army, backed by the United States, drove them out of cities they had seized in 2011.

The militants have carried out dozens of bombings, suicide attacks and commando-style raids against military installations, government facilities and foreign nationals, killing hundreds of people since 2012.

Local residents said on Monday the army had been massing troops near the town of al-Mahfad in preparation for a major offensive.

Local news websites have reported that several soldiers were captured by militants in the early stages of the fighting and photos were posted online of men in uniform sitting in the back of a truck, between masked men holding an al Qaeda banner.

It was not immediately possible to verify the reports.

The operation appears to have come as a follow up on a series of air raids on April 19 and 20, which killed some 55 suspected militants.

The Defence Ministry had said those air strikes that targeted a remote region were "terrorist elements were planning to target vital civilian and military installations".

Local sources said unmanned drone aircraft had been seen above the target areas beforehand. The United States acknowledges using drone strikes in Yemen, but it does not comment on the practice.

The air strikes came after an online video was posted on the Internet showing AQAP leader Nasser al-Wuhaishi addressing a large crowd of fighters in an undisclosed mountainous region of Yemen and vowing to attack the United States.

 

Last Mod: 29 Nisan 2014, 13:43
Add Comment