Ali Ahmad Mabrur - Bangladesh
Shaheed Mujahid continued, “What an audacity that they are trying us for the so called crimes against humanity! Yet they do not posses humanity within themselves. They wake a person up from his sleep at midnight and bring his family saying that this is their last meeting and the execution would be carried out soon afterwards! In the same manner they have woken up an honorable person like Mr Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury in the middle of the night, and called his family in for the last meeting. What sort of humanity is this? He was also obliged to write to the President in English to explain the contradictions and flaws of the trial process. Please be witness, if my execution is carried out tonight after your departure, that will be a cold-blooded murder of an innocent person.
But you must not become vengeful. You do not have to do anything in reaction. Soon after my execution tonight, the process of divine justice will be initiated in the court of Allah against those who were involved in this conspiracy against me. It may already have started. None of you will have to do anything.
Let me disclose my correct date of birth to you today. During our childhood, the dates of birth were not recorded correctly. Normally, our teachers used to record a random date of birth for us. My true date of birth is 14th August 1947, corresponding to 27th Ramadan. Sheikh Hasina (Prime Minister) is only one month younger than me. She knows me very well. She knows very well that I have never done anything wrong, because we have a long history of campaigning and struggling for democracy together.
I have done many Umrahs and done Hajj 7 or 8 times. My father is buried in the Jannatul Muwalla in Makkah, beside the grave of Ummul Mumineen Hajrat Khadizah (R) and few other sahabas (companion of prophets). It is said that even some Prophets are buried in the adjacent place. Whenever I was able to visit that place, I tried to show my father’s grave to my companions and tour mates.”
(His younger brother Ali Akram Md Ozaer at that time testified by saying, “Yes, My dear brother, you have taken me too to that place”)
Shaheed Mujahid continued, “My wish was to rest next to my father. But if I say this now, the jail authority will be in a difficult situation. Anyways, I have given directions to my eldest son regarding my grave. He will finalize the issue after discussing with everyone.”
(By now the deputy jailer was pointing to the end of meeting time to my second brother, who informed my father that we have about five minutes remaining.) My father then said to the officers, “You know me very well. You have seen me closely. I expect a little humanity from you today. I will not take a single minute more after finishing what I have to say.” The officer replied, “We give testimony that you have always cooperated with us and acted with dignity. We in turn tried our best to show respect towards you.”
Then my father continued, “My children are present here. Now I am going to say a few words to them.
1) Be very serious about your obligatory prayers.
2) Always live on halal (legal) income even if that means hardship. I was a full cabinet minister for five years. By the grace of Allah (repeated 3 times), I discharged my duties with absolute transparency and with hard work. No one can say that I have done anything wrong. My stomach (pointing to his body) never consumed even one haram taka (a single penny with illegal income). You must remain on halal income. Allah will give barakah (blessings) even if that causes some hardships.
3) The relationship with relatives is called ‘Silai Rehmi’. You must maintain good relationships with relatives and live in harmony. Some of our relatives pray regularly, some are not that observant. Some are very strict about halal income, some are less strict. Our Sharia has two options- Azeemat and Rukhsat. Azeemat means being very strict, not to go near haram (illegal) things under any circumstance. Rukhsat means to allow some flexibility according to some situations. Hence, some relatives will have problems in their incomes and some will have weaknesses in their prayers. Our duty is to keep good relationships with them all and try to bring them to the right path. I have always maintained this policy and achieved good results. It is said in a Hadith that anyone breaking up relations with relatives will not enter paradise.
4) Give rights to neighbors. Maintain good relations with neighbors of my residence in Dhaka and home in Faridpur.
5) I have already given you written directions about my home in Uttara. There is no need for any fundamental changes. Just do some minor changes here and there [to comply with inheritance laws], retaining the original structure. Similarly, do as I have already told you about the home in Faridpur. We siblings never have had any problems about these issues like land demarcation. You also try to live in harmony. Never create any troubles about these things. For the sake of peace and harmony, accept gladly even if any of you will have to give up a portion of his or hers. But do not create any troubles.
6) Read Seerah (biographies) of the Prophet PBUH and of his companions as much as possible. I know that you already do so, but read again and again. Especially read ‘The Prophethood of Muhammad PBUH’, The Saviors of Mankind’ , ‘Seerate Sarware Alam’, ‘Seeratun Nabi’, ‘Seerate Ibn Hisham’, ‘The Revolutionary Life of the Messenger of Allah’. There are many good biographies of the companions. I know that you read many of them before, but read again and again.
I am pleased with my children. I am fully satisfied with your activities. I don't get newspapers here. But yet, whenever I wish for something or think of doing something, you seem to have done that already. Like the press conference that you did today. This was a very nice job. I am very pleased that you have done such a beautiful thing by consensus among yourselves, without my having to tell you to do so. To be honest, hearts can communicate with each other, they feel each other’s feelings. Whenever I think of doing something in my heart, you seem to have done that exact thing. Like this, you will always try to do everything together in harmony through mutual understanding.
Give my thanks and prayers to my lawyers. They have worked really hard. I am satisfied with their roles. It is unbelievable how hard they worked. If they demanded fees it would have been at least 5-10 crore. But they have done everything with great courage almost for free.
I believe that, there is no better blessing in the current world than Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami and Islami Chatra Shibir. To the best of my knowledge, these two are the best organizations in the world. I am satisfied about these two organizations. During the last few years many of them have sacrificed their lives, thousands became injured, and hundreds of thousands were imprisoned like me. Especially, the sacrifices of Islami Chatra Shibir during the last few years are exemplary. My martyrdom will speed up the Islamic Movement in this country thousands times more, and will bring positive changes in the national life, InshaAllah!
Those who gave false witness against me, all of them except two, are very poor. They were forced to give false testimony against me because of their severe poverty and coercion. I forgive them all. You too will not carry any grudges against them.
Look after your mother. She is a better Muslim than me, a good hearted person. I witness to this.”
Pointing to his mother-in-law who was present there, he remembered his parents-in-law with much appreciation. “Mother-in-law is like a real mother. The way you have shown kindness towards me is exemplary.”
He continued, “To my knowledge, there is no pain in the death of a martyr. You should pray to make my death easy and least painful. May the angels of Almighty Allah protect me during my departure.”
He calls his younger daughter Tamreena as ‘Ammu’. He said to her that, there are his parents, younger brother Shuaib, and elder daughter Mumtahina waiting for him. Shuaib was a very sound minded brother and was very close to his father. My sister replied to him, “O my father, Mumtahina (his elder daughter who died in infancy) will receive you very soon.” My second brother added, “She will come to welcome you with flowers, InshaAllah!” My mother added, “Give her my love!” My eldest brother then said, “You are going to be a martyr very soon. You will have the opportunity to intercede for lots of people when you enter paradise as a martyr. Please keep us in that list of your chosen people.”
Then my father said to his three daughters-in-law, “I was not able to show love to my daughters-in-law that much. They are like my mother. He enquired about parents of his daughters-in-law, and asked them to convey his salaam to all of them. He continued, “I could not take care of you in the way I wished. Especially, my youngest daughter-in-law, I was not able to spend much time with her. I was arrested soon after her wedding.” He asked all his daughters-in-law for forgiveness, “I was not able to discharge my duties towards you properly. Please forgive me!”
“For the same reason I was not able to spend much time with my only son-in-law, Fuad, and my daughter. I did not have the opportunity to even have a single dinner with them together. I am pleased with my son-in-law. Give my salaam to your parents.” His son-in-law said in response, “I will try my best to carry out the responsibilities you had given to me.”
He thanked the jail authority for their cooperation. He said to them, “If I have done anything wrong in my behavior then please forgive me.” He remembered his caretakers in jails of Narayanganj and Dhaka Central Jail. He asked to distribute remaining money in his jail account to his care takers in those jails.
He said salaam to everyone including Maulana Nizami and Maulana Sayeedi.
He said salaam to the countrymen and asked for their prayers.
Then he prayed for the acceptance of his martyrdom by Allah. He started dua with everyone. He prayed for the destruction of oppressors. He termed Allah as the sole guardian and protector of his family.
Finally, he shook hands with everyone and bid farewell. We came out of the cell. The glimpse of him from backward as we were leaving is the very last image of him while he was still alive. We will never forget that moment, InshaAllah. It is impossible to forget that image. We ask everyone to pray for this person of such impeccable transparent heart. Please pray sincerely from the depth of your hearts.
[Shaheed Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mujahid was the Secretary General of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, who was executed by the tyrannical regime of Bangladesh on 21 November 2015 at 12:55 am. This is the account of his last meeting with his family and relatives in Dhaka Central Jail, written by his family members and collated by his youngest son Ali Ahmad Mabrur. About 20 minutes after this meeting, Ali Ahsan Muhammad Mujahid became a martyr]Last Mod: 05 Aralık 2015, 10:31