World Bulletin / News Desk
Some 2,500 Gazans will perform the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia this year, including 500 whose trip will be funded by the Saudi government, a Palestinian official has said.
Deputy Palestinian Minister of Religious Affairs Hassan al-Saifi said the first group of Gaza pilgrims would depart the blockaded coastal enclave en route to Mecca and Medina on September 19.
At a press conference in Gaza City, al-Saifi added that a total of 6,280 Palestinians would perform the annual rite this year, including 1,000 whose trip would be funded by the Saudi government.
He said Gazan pilgrims would travel to Saudi Arabia via Cairo International Airport after crossing into Egypt through the Rafah border crossing.
Egypt has tightened its control over the crossing since last year's ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi by the army.Last Mod: 03 Eylül 2014, 16:56