World Bulletin / News Desk
In a brief statement, ministry spokesman Iyad al-Buzm said security forces had tracked down and surrounded several individuals believed to have been involved in the Jan. 13 assassination attempt.
“Our security forces and the suspects are exchanging fire. Efforts to capture them remain underway,” al-Buzm said.
On Wednesday evening, the ministry announced it had identified a “prime suspect” in the failed assassination bid on al-Hamdallah earlier this month.
On Jan. 13, al-Hamdallah’s convoy struck a roadside bomb in Gaza’s Beit Hanoun district during a visit by the prime minister to the Hamas-run coastal enclave.
Earlier this week, at a meeting of the Palestinian leadership in the West Bank city of Ramallah, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas blamed Hamas for the attempt on al-Hamdallah’s life.
Hamas, which has governed the Gaza Strip since 2007, denied the allegation.