World Bulletin / News Desk
Gazan authorities have repaired 9,600 houses damaged during a deadly Israeli onslaught on the Gaza Strip last year.
In a Saturday statement, the Ministry of Public Works and Housing said that 180 houses have also been rebuilt after they were destroyed during the Israeli offensive.
Israeli forces launched an eight-day deadly war on Gaza, home to 1.9 million Palestinian, last year.
More than 12,000 houses were damaged and 220 others totally destroyed during the Israeli onslaught.
The Israeli onslaught also caused some $1.2 billion in economic losses, which affected almost all sectors of the strip's already-precarious economy.
The Public Works Ministry said that funding for the repairing process was provided in coordination with UNRAW and Gazan charities.
The ministry appealed to the international community to intervene to lift a years-long Israeli blockade on Gaza and allow the entry of construction materials to rebuild houses destroyed in the Israeli war.
The construction process in Gaza has come to almost standstill following an Egyptian military crackdown on underground tunnels that were used to smuggle basic needs of the Gazans.
Israel had recently suspended the entry of construction materials into Gaza following the discovery of a tunnel dug by Palestinian resistance fighters into Israel.
Last Mod: 16 Kasım 2013, 11:12