World Bulletin / News Desk
Any international move aiming at disarming the Palestinian faction Hamas would be valueless, a movement spokesman has said.
"Any movement in this regard would be valueless because it will violate international laws," Sami Abu Zuhri added in a statement.
He said the international community would rather move to disarm Israel and also prevent the American administration from providing its army with weaponry, which according to him, is used in killing Palestinian children and women.
Some diplomats have revealed earlier that efforts are being made inside the United Nations Security Council to prevent a repetition of the Palestinian-Israeli war in the Gaza Strip in the future.
Israel has been calling for disarming Hamas as part of any project for calm in the Gaza Strip.
Israel's latest 51-day offensive on the Gaza Strip left some 2,147 Gazans dead and 11,000 others injured – many critically – while partially or completely destroying thousands of buildings across the coastal enclave.
The Israeli offensive finally ended with the announcement of an indefinite cease-fire that came into effect on Tuesday.
The cease-fire deal calls for opening all border crossings between the Gaza Strip and Israel – effectively ending the latter's seven-year blockade of the coastal territory.
According to the agreement's terms, Palestinian and Israeli negotiators will hold indirect negotiations on other core Palestinian demands – including the release of prisoners and the establishment of a Gaza seaport – after one month.
Hamas calls Netanyahu's remarks 'proof of defeat'
The Palestinian faction Hamas late on Saturday considered earlier statements by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that he had to pull his troops out of the Gaza Strip, because he did not want the killing or kidnapping of Israeli soldiers as proof of Israel's defeat.
"This is a frank confession of defeat against the Palestinian resistance," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said.
"Netanyahu's statements represent a confession of the victory of the Palestinian resistance and Israel's defeat," he added in a statement.
Speaking in an interview with Israel's Channel 2 earlier on Saturday, Netanyahu said that there was no reason to endanger Israeli troops if Israel could “crush” Hamas from the air.
"But the minute that was dealt with, we took them [the troops] out because I did not want the killing or kidnapping of our soldiers,” Netanyahu said.
No permanent cease-fire yet
A senior member of the political office of Palestinian faction Hamas said on Saturday that his movement waits for an invitation from Egypt to resume indirect talks with Israel on a permanent cease-fire in the Gaza Strip.
"No contacts have been made for resuming the negotiations on pending issues in relation to the cease-fire yet," Moussa Abu Marzouq said.
"We wait for an invitation from the Egyptian side to resume the talks," he told the media as he paid a visit to victims of Israel's 51-day offensive on the Gaza Strip at Al-Shefaa Hospital in Gaza City.
The London-based Al-Sharq Al-Awsat newspaper had earlier quoted what it described as "informed Palestinian sources" as saying that a date had been set for resuming the talks between the Palestinians and the Israelis over a permanent cease-fire in Gaza.
The sources told the newspaper that the indirect talks are set to resume at the middle of this week and that these talks would focus on pending issues related to the cease-fire.Last Mod: 31 Ağustos 2014, 09:51