World Bulletin/News Desk
Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has denied accusations by Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas that it was responsible for a series of bomb blasts last week targeting Gaza-based members of Abbas' Fatah movement.
"President Abbas' accusations against Hamas are baseless," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday.
Speaking at a Ramallah rally marking ten years since the death of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, Abbas blamed Hamas for a string of limited explosions that went off last Friday near the homes of several Fatah leaders.
No groups or individuals have claimed responsibility for the bombings.
Abbas accused Hamas – which has run the Gaza Strip since 2007 – of undermining an April reconciliation deal between Hamas and Fatah that led to the formation of a new Palestinian unity government this summer.
Abbas went on to accuse Hamas of obstructing the reconstruction of the war-battered Gaza Strip.
"Unfortunately, Abbas' incendiary speech contained many fallacies," Abu Zuhri said.
He went on to accuse Abbas of undermining reconciliation efforts and hindering Gaza's reconstruction.
"President Abbas should have spoken like a true Palestinian leader instead of just making accusations," Abu Zuhri said.
Following Friday's explosions, Fatah canceled a planned mass Tuesday rally in the Gaza Strip to commemorate Arafat's death.
Hamas and Fatah have accused one another of derailing a reconciliation deal signed in April aimed at ending seven years of division.
The rift led to the establishment of two rival seats of government – in Gaza and Ramallah respectively – after Hamas routed pro-Fatah forces in 2007 and took control of the entire Gaza Strip.
Last Mod: 11 Kasım 2014, 16:47