World Bulletin/News Desk
Palestinian group Hamas has rejected plans by the Palestinian Authority (PA) to resubmit a draft resolution to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) that would set a three-year deadline for ending the decades-long Israeli occupation of Palestinian land.
"We reiterate our rejection of the PA's planned return to the Security Council," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a Monday press statement.
"It is a pointless move and a manipulation of the [Palestinian] national project," he said.
PA President Mahmoud Abbas said Sunday that the PA and Jordan were both mulling plans to resubmit the resolution to the UNSC.
Last week, the UNSC rejected a Palestinian draft resolution calling for a three-year deadline for ending Israel's occupation.
The motion, initially submitted by Jordan after being agreed upon by Arab states, failed to obtain the minimum nine votes from the 15-member council, with both the U.S. and Australia voting against the proposal.
The U.K., Nigeria, Rwanda, South Korea and Lithuania all abstained from voting, while Jordan, France, Russia, China, Argentina, Chad, Chile and Luxembourg all voted in favor.
In response to the setback, Abbas signed the Rome Statute – the founding treaty of the International Criminal Court (ICC) – along with applications for Palestinian membership in 20 international treaties and organizations.
Full ICC membership would theoretically allow the PA to bring a lawsuit against Israel for war crimes.
If adopted, Abbas' UNSC resolution would set a three-year deadline for Israel to fully withdraw from the occupied territories and to declare East Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state based on pre-1967 borders.
Direct, U.S.-brokered Palestinian-Israeli talks ground to a halt last April when Israel refused to release a group of Palestinian prisoners despite earlier pledges to do so.
Last Mod: 05 Ocak 2015, 21:00