Israeli airstrikes injure 10 Palestinians in Gaza

Israel has stepped up its attacks on the Gaza Strip since three Jewish settlers went missing from a West Bank settlement on June 12.

Israeli airstrikes injure 10 Palestinians in Gaza

World Bulletin / News Desk

At least ten Palestinians were injured in a number of Israeli airstrike early on Thursday in the Gaza Strip.

"The ten sustained medium and light injuries," Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qodrah told Anadolu Agency.

Two Palestinian females, including a 68-year-old woman, were injured in an Israeli airstrike targeting a military site of Saraya al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Islamic Jihad, in Beit Lahia town in northern Gaza.

Five Palestinians were also injured in another Israeli airstrike in Beit Lahia, according to medical sources and eyewitnesses.

Israeli planes fired three missiles into a farmland in northern Gaza City, injuring two Palestinians and causing damage to nearby houses.

A 17-year-old Palestinian was also injured in an Israeli attack on a military site belonging to Hamas' Ezzeddin al-Qassam Brigades in northern Gaza City.

Israeli planes also attacked two military sites belonging to Hamas' Ezzeddin al-Qassam Brigades in the northern town of Beitu Hanoun and Rafah in southern Gaza.

Israel has stepped up its attacks on the Gaza Strip since three Jewish settlers went missing from a West Bank settlement on June 12.

On Monday, Israel said it had found the bodies of the three missing settlers.

Three days after the settlers' disappearance, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Gaza-based resistance faction Hamas of having kidnapped them.

Palestinian resistance movement Hamas on Wednesday denied any knowledge of last month's abduction and subsequent murder of three teenage Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank.

"Hamas had no involvement in the death of the three Israeli settlers," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement.

Israel honors slain settlers with Jerusalem settlement building

The Israeli government decided on Wednesday to build new settlements in East Jerusalem in memory of three Jewish settlers, who were found dead in the West Bank earlier this week.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said the new units will be built in Gush Etzion in East Jerusalem in response to the abduction and killing of the three settlers, Israeli Channel Two reported.

Ya'alon had earlier called on his government to respond to the death of three settlers by embarking on a fresh settlement drive that would include new settlements built in the trio's memory.

Two months ago, the Israeli government announced the annexation of 980 acres from the area of ​​Gush Etzion for building new settlement homes.

Israel refuses to hand over this region, which connects East Jerusalem and the city of Bethlehem, under any future peace deal with the Palestinians.

Israel occupied East Jerusalem during the 1967 Middle East War. It unilaterally annexed the holy city in 1980, claiming it as the capital of the self-proclaimed Jewish state – a move never recognized by the international community.

Palestinians accuse Israel of waging an aggressive campaign to "Judaize" the city with the aim of effacing its Arab and Islamic identity and ultimately driving out its Palestinian inhabitants.

International law considers the West Bank and East Jerusalem occupied territories taken by Israel in 1967, viewing all Jewish settlement building as illegitimate.

Palestinian negotiators insist that Israeli settlement building must stop before the resumption of stalled peace talks with Israel.

Last Mod: 03 Temmuz 2014, 10:04
Add Comment