World Bulletin / News Desk
Israeli forces attacking Gaza with air, ground and naval strikes during the three-day Muslim feast of Ramadan killed 328 Palestinians -- mainly women and children - and wounded 980, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza.
On the first day of the feast on Monday, 43 Palestinians were killed, 154 on the second and 131 on the third, the ministry said Thursday.
A total of 1,363 Palestinians have been killed to date and 7,600 wounded since the Israeli offensive started on July 7.
A total of nine mosques were destroyed and 13 damaged, while 166 houses were demolished and 1,281 damaged.
The Israeli army, which is calling up 16,000 reservists to intensify its ground attacks on Gaza, hit residential and cultivated areas in the Gaza Strip.
According to an Israeli army statement on Thursday, 110 buildings were bombed over the previous 24 hours.
A total of 2,840 missiles had been fired at Israel since the first day of the operations against Gaza more than three weeks ago, while 530 were neutralized by the Iron Dome defense system, the army said.
The Israeli Ministry of Health said 139 Israeli soldiers had been treated in hospitals, 15 of them had been seriously injured and one soldier was in an extremely critical condition.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday: "I will not accept any offer hampering the operation for the security of Israeli citizens, whether an armistice is signed or not.
"We will destroy Hamas' tunnel systems if a ceasefire would be declared or not."
The U.S. Foreign Ministry condemned Israel's attack against a United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) school which was packed with Palestinian refugees and said everyone should respect the UN's neutrality.
Meanwhile, the U.S. government was reported to be continuing to sell ammunition to Israel.
Ammunition requested by the Israel Defense Force in a letter on July 20 was dispatched by the U.S. Defense Ministry three days later, according to a Pentagon statement.
In Washington D.C., hundreds of people protested against Israel's attack on Gaza and called on U.S. President Barack Obama to halt military assistance to Israel and demand that its blockade of Gaza be lifted.
The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed its "deep concern" about the possible increase in civilian casualties.
The European Union Commission also vigorously condemned Israel's attacks, particularly the bombing of the UNRWA school and a marketplace.
Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia Margallo said the Gaza conflict was an "unprecedented humanitarian catastrophe" and the conflict could spread beyond the region.
UN Human Rights Chief Navi Pillay said Israel was deliberately ignoring its responsibilities under international law and violating international human rights.
She said: "Attacks against hospitals currently in use are war crimes."
In Ramallah, Palestinians protested against Israel's attacks on the Gaza Strip and demanded the Rafah border gate between Egypt and Gaza be opened completely.
The crowd chanted slogans against Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and his failure to act to protect Palestinians amid the offensive.
They also requested Arab countries, who they blamed for staying silent over the attacks, to cut their ties with Israel and boycott Israeli products.
Meanwhile, Bolivian President Evo Morales named Israel as a "terrorist state" and cancelled a long-term visa exemption agreement between Bolivia and Israel.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called Gaza a "disaster area."
The German Foreign Ministry said that in addition to €500,000 of aid previously sent to the people of Gaza, a further €8.5 million would be sent at a future date.
The Turkish Red Crescent said it would provide potable water for people sheltering in schools in Gaza.
Israel commenced aerial and naval attacks against Gaza in its "Operation Protective Edge" on July 7, and launched ground operations on July 17.Güncelleme Tarihi: 01 Ağustos 2014, 09:21