World Bulletin / News Desk
Israeli bulldozers on Monday demolished a two-story building owned by a Palestinian man in the village of Al-Faroun south of Tulkarm in the northwestern West Bank.
"Two years ago, the Israeli authorities handed my father – Falah Abdel-Razeq, 58 – a demolition order on the pretext that the house was built close to the barrier wall," Ahmed Abdel-Razeq, the owner's son, told Anadolu Agency.
On Monday, he said, two Israel bulldozers backed by a large army force had surrounded the house at 5:30am. Israeli authorities then evicted the residents before razing the structure.
"My father is blind; he suffers diabetes and kidney problems. He was taken to hospital after suffering a nervous breakdown this morning [after the house was destroyed]," he added.
Abdel-Razeq said the building had housed 12 people who were now without shelter.
In a press release, Tulkarm Governor Abdullah Kamil slammed the move as "a criminal and barbaric act that violates all ethical and humanitarian norms, as well as international and humanitarian law."
"Israeli violations against Palestinians everywhere, and especially in Tulkarm, confirms the Israeli government's lack of seriousness… about achieving peace," Kamil declared.
"On the contrary, the Israeli government seeks – through a series of arbitrary actions and settlement-building schemes – to drag the region into a cycle of violence," he added.
According to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Israel demolished more than 500 Palestinian homes in the West Bank and Al-Quds (occupied East Jerusalem) last year alone.
International law views the West Bank and Al-Quds as occupied territories seized by Israel in 1967 and sees all Jewish settlement building on the land as illegal.
After signing the 1993 Oslo Accord with the Palestinian Authority, Israel withdrew from the West Bank's major cities but retained control of the rest of the territory.Last Mod: 09 Haziran 2014, 17:58