Palestinian Authority slams fresh Israeli settlement move

PA spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh said that the decision reflects Israel's insistence on sabotaging US efforts to reach peace.

Palestinian Authority slams fresh Israeli settlement move

World Bulletin / News Desk

The Palestinian Authority (PA) on Friday condemned an announcement by Israel that it planned to build hundreds of new homes for Jewish settlers in the West Bank and the city of Al-Quds (occupied East Jerusalem).

"This decision reflects Israel's insistence on sabotaging US efforts to reach peace based on the two-state formula," PA spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh said in statements carried by the official Wafa news agency.

On Friday, Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing announced tenders for the construction of 600 housing units in the Ramat Shlomo settlement in Al-Quds and 800 new homes in the West Bank, according to Israeli news website Wallah.

The ministry also republished tenders for the construction of 532 new homes in a number of Jewish settlements in Al-Quds.

The new tenders come days after US Secretary of State John Kerry concluded a visit to the Middle East in a fresh push to advance peace talks between the Palestinians and Israel.

Last week, Kerry – in his tenth such trip to the Middle East for peace talks – visited Israel and the Palestinian territories, along with Jordan and Saudi Arabia, in a fresh bid to promote peace negotiations between the perennial adversaries.

According to Wallah, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Housing Minister Uri Ariel postponed the announcement of the tender until Washington's top diplomat had left the region.

The Washington-sponsored peace talks resumed last July after a three-year hiatus.

Results of the talks – which are focused on final settlement issues, borders, Israeli settlements, Jerusalem and the return of Palestinian refugees – have yet to be announced.

Last Mod: 10 Ocak 2014, 16:37
Add Comment