World Bulletin/News Desk
The family of a Palestinian boy killed on Friday on the border between Egypt and the Gaza Strip on Saturday called for the formation of a joint Palestinian-Egyptian inquiry into the boy's death.
The family of Zaki al-Houbi, 16, said in a statement that the inquiry should investigate the circumstances of the boy's death and bring those responsible to account.
The family also called on Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah to quickly intervene in the matter.
"We want to remind the Egyptian army [who the family accuses of killing their son] that the relationship between both of us is one of love, fraternity and kinship, and that the common enemy between us and our Egyptian brothers is Israel," the family said.
On Saturday, residents from the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah participated in al-Houbi's funeral procession.
Senior leader of the Palestinian faction Hamas on Sunday denounced the killing two days ago of a Palestinian teenager by the Egyptian army on the border between Egypt and the Gaza Strip.
"What happened was indeed very regrettable," Moussa Abu Marzouq told the parents of 17-year-old Zaki al-Houbi during a visit to their home in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah.
"Instead of reopening the border, this is the message we get from our Egyptian brothers," he added.
Leading Hamas official Salah al-Bardawil described the boy's killing as a "dangerous precedent."
On Friday, a spokesman for the Gaza Interior Ministry said that a Palestinian boy had been killed by Egyptian army troops on the border between Egypt and the blockaded coastal enclave.
The Egyptian army, for its part, has yet to comment on the incident.
Last Mod: 04 Ocak 2015, 21:49