World Bulletin/News Desk
A Palestinian fisherman was seriously injured Saturday when Israeli naval forces opened fire on Palestinian fishing boats off the coast of the Gaza Strip.
"A fisherman sustained serious injuries when Israeli gunboats opened fire on fishing boats off the coast of the southern Rafah city," Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qodra told The Anadolu Agency.
Nizar Ayyash, head of Gaza's Palestinian Fishermen's Union, has confirmed the attack.
Israeli forces "shot at Palestinian fishing boats under the pretext that they go beyond fishing space specified for them," he said.
He said that some fishing boasts sustained damage in the Israeli shooting.
There has been no comment from the Israeli army on the report.
In late August, Israel allowed Palestinian fishermen to ply their trade up to six nautical miles off the coast of the Gaza Strip – as opposed to three miles previously.
According to Ayyash, some 50,000 Gazans earn their living from the fishing business.
He estimated their combined losses during Israel's recent war at more than $6 million.
Ever since Hamas won the 2006 legislative polls, Israel has imposed a tight land and sea blockade on the Gaza Strip.
Meanwhile, Israeli forces staged on Saturday a limited incursion into the Gaza Strip, eyewitnesses have said.
Four Israeli military bulldozers stationed near the border pushed a few meters into farmland in Gaza's northern Beit Lahia town, eyewitnesses told The Anadolu Agency.
The bulldozers scooped a large tract of farmland before turning back, they added.
Israeli authorities have yet to comment on the incident.
Saturday's incursion comes despite an August 26 cease-fire between Israel and Palestinian resistance factions.
The Egypt-brokered, open-ended cease-fire ended a seven-week Israeli military onslaught on the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli offensive, which began on July 7, left 2,160 Palestinians – the vast majority of them civilians – dead and more than 11,000 injured.
Last Mod: 08 Ocak 2015, 14:58