Palestinians to take Israeli violations to UN

The Palestinian presidency said the Israeli proposal "reflects a destructive and systematic Israeli policy that runs counter to all international norms and conventions".

Palestinians to take Israeli violations to UN

World Bulletin / News Desk

The Palestinian presidency on Wednesday welcomed a proposal by some Arab countries to lodge a complaint against Israel with the UN Security Council over repeated Israeli violations against Al-Aqsa Mosque.

In a statement, the warned of "grave consequences" of Israeli violations against Al-Aqsa Mosque, according to the official Palestinian Wafa news agency.

"[Israeli violations] have prompted the Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation to take a swift move against this fierce campaign against Al-Aqsa Mosque," it added.

Last week, the Israeli Knesset (parliament) dropped plans to hold a debate on a proposal to impose Israeli oversight on holy sites in Al-Quds (occupied East Jerusalem).

The Palestinian presidency said the Israeli proposal "reflects a destructive and systematic Israeli policy that runs counter to all international norms and conventions".

On Wednesday, the Arab League warned against the dangers posed by increasingly frequent Israeli violations against residents and holy sites in Al-Quds.

Frequent Israeli violations against the Al-Aqsa Mosque anger Palestinian Muslims and occasionally lead to violent confrontations.

Jews refer to the area as the "Temple Mount," claiming it was the site of two prominent Jewish temples in ancient times.

In September 2000, a visit to the site by then opposition politician Ariel Sharon triggered what later became known as the "Second Intifada" – a popular uprising in which thousands of Palestinians were killed and injured.

Israel occupied Al-Quds during the 1967 Middle East War. It later annexed the holy city in 1980, claiming it as the capital of the self-proclaimed Jewish state.

Israel partially demolishes Palestinian home in W. Bank

Israeli army forces arrested on Thursday four Palestinians in the town of Birzeit near Ramallah after partially demolishing a house they had refused to come out of, eyewitnesses said.

After besieging the house for a period of time, Israeli forces moved to demolish the building with a bulldozer after the four young men had refused to give in, according to eyewitnesses.

The reason for the Palestinians' arrest remains unknown as no immediate response has been provided by Israeli or Palestinian authorities.

Violent clashes broke out in the early hours of Thursday after Israeli forces stormed the town, leaving two Palestinian men injured with rubber bullet wounds and dozens suffering tear gas inhalation, the eyewitnesses added.

Earlier on Thursday, Israeli forces detained 11 Palestinians from different West Bank districts on grounds that they are wanted by Israeli authorities.

Israeli forces routinely conduct raids in the West Bank claiming to be looking for "wanted" Palestinians.

Palestinian youths, Israeli army clash in Nablus

Israeli army forces fired stun grenades and rubber bullets to disperse Palestinian youths who had gathered to protest a visit to a local shrine by scores of Jewish settlers in the West Bank city of Nablus.

According to eyewitnesses, tens of Jewish settlers stormed the site, which is known to Jews as Joseph's Tomb, in the early hours of Thursday and performed Talmudic rituals under protection from Israeli police.

The Palestinian youths pelted the settlers' buses with stones before Israeli army fired teargas and rubber bullets to disperse the protesters. No injuries have yet been reported.

Joseph's Tomb has long been a flashpoint for potential violence. Jews believe the site to be the burial place of the biblical patriarch Joseph, while Muslims challenge the claim, saying an Islamic cleric – Sheikh Yussef Dawiqat – was buried at the site two centuries ago.

Last Mod: 27 Şubat 2014, 11:11
Add Comment