World Bulletin/News Desk
Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas has called this round of talks in the Middle East peace process, which began last July as a result of US effort, the “last chance,” warning that the window of peace is narrowing.
Abbas addressed world leaders on Thursday for the first time after Palestine gained “non-member observer status” at the United Nations last year. He stated negotiations between parties have begun, adding, “We shall continue them in good faith and with open minds, strong determination and an insistence on success.”
“Our objective is to achieve a permanent and comprehensive agreement and peace treaty between the states of Palestine and Israel that resolves all outstanding issues and answers all questions, which allows us to officially declare an end to conflict and claims,” Abbas said.
However he urged the international community to remain alert to condemn and stop any actions that would undermine negotiations, such as the building of news settlements in Jerusalem. He reminded that the Oslo process had been disrupted due to the expansion of settlements on occupied Palestinian lands.
“There is an international consensus – among the countries of the world, international and regional organizations and the International Court of Justice – on the illegality and illegitimacy of these settlements,” he said, adding his certainty that the people of Israel desire peace and noting that peace could be achieved through a two state solution. Abbas also cautioned that the window of peace is narrowing and opportunities are diminishing.
“The current round of negotiations appears to be a last chance to realize a just peace,” he stated.Last Mod: 27 Eylül 2013, 11:08