Military bases continue to move out of Ankara, Istanbul

The process to move out the bases, which began post July 15 defeated coup nears completion

Military bases continue to move out of Ankara, Istanbul

World Bulletin / News Desk

The process to move military command posts out of Ankara and Istanbul following the deadly July 15 defeated coup is now almost complete, a military source told Anadolu Agency Wednesday.

The Turkish government had earlier announced that military barracks would be moved out of Ankara and Istanbul by the end of July.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said the military’s 28th Mechanized Infantry Brigade, located in Ankara's Mamak district, had been moved out to the central Cankiri province. The brigade consists of 40 tanks, armored personnel carriers and six howitzers.

The Armor Unit School and Training Division in Ankara's Etimesgut district, which began moving out in late August, too has transferred most of its military equipment to Sereflikochisar district, which is 162 kilometers (101 miles) away from Etimesgut district in Ankara.

In Istanbul, the movement of the Armed Brigade Command was also complete. A total of 14 howitzers, 80 tanks and 169 armored vehicles in Maltepe district had been transferred to southeastern Gaziantep province.

Also, the process to move several F-16 warplanes from the Murted Air Base, known as Akinci Air Base until the night July 15, was complete. The source said 56 warplanes had been transferred to central Konya and Eskisehir provinces.

The Murted Air Base had been used as a hub during the coup attempt. The Turkish government accuses Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen of being behind the defeated coup, which left 246 people martyred and injured 2,194 others.

AA

Last Mod: 03 Kasım 2016, 09:34
Add Comment