Suspects in OdaTV case ask to be released from prison

OdaTV owner Soner Yalçın and journalists Barış Pehlivan and Barış Terkoğlu are jailed suspects in the case.

Suspects in OdaTV case ask to be released from prison

World Bulletin / News Desk

Lawyers for three suspects in an ongoing case against the OdaTV news portal asked the İstanbul 16th High Criminal Court on Friday to release their clients from prison pending trial.

OdaTV owner Soner Yalçın and journalists Barış Pehlivan and Barış Terkoğlu are jailed suspects in the case. They stand accused of membership in a terrorist organization and obtaining and publishing confidential state documents. The news portal is better known for its pro-Ergenekon publications.

Ergenekon is accused of being a terrorist organization working to overthrow the government.

The suspects were arrested after police seized documents from odatv.com, which detail plans by the news portal to incite chaos in society through provocations and to play down ongoing probes against coup plots, as well as to put pressure on the court hearings of these cases.

Lawyers for the three suspects told the court during Friday's trial that a recent report by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) suggests that the suspects are innocent and that therefore they need to be released from prison. The court did not immediately make its decision for or against the releases.

In its report sent to the İstanbul court earlier this week, TÜBİTAK said it failed to conclude whether or not documents seized from the OdaTV news portal were sent through the use of a computer virus.

Previously, suspects in the case had denied preparing and storing those documents and claimed that the documents were sent through the use of a computer virus. In January, the İstanbul 16th High Criminal Court, which is hearing the OdaTV case, asked TÜBİTAK -- a semi-independent scientific research body -- to determine if the documents were really sent to the computers of the news portal through the use of a virus.

TÜBİTAK sent a lengthy report that included the findings of its investigation to the court on Monday. According to the 339-page report, TÜBİTAK experts discovered viruses on the computers, but the evidence did not suggest that the documents were sent to the computers via a virus.

Last Mod: 31 Ağustos 2012, 17:53
Add Comment