World Bulletin / News Desk
None of Sledgehammer coup suspects have complied to arrest warrants while 81 of 102 soldiers filed appeals at court.
Meanwhile, Turkish General Staff Chief Gen. Ilker Basbug unexpectedly late on Monday met Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan as Turkey was talking about the arrest warrants
The 10th High Criminal Court ordered the re-arrest of 102 suspects, including two former force commanders. The court earlier this week accepted the prosecution's indictment against the suspects.
The suspects who will now be arrested include retired Gen. Cetin Doğan, retired force commanders Halil İbrahim Firtina and Ozden Ornek, retired Adm. Feyyaz Ogutcu and former Deputy Chief of General Staff Ergin Saygun.
The indictment in the Sledgehammer plan mentions 196 suspects and names retired Gen. Dogan, the former head of the 1st Army, as its prime suspect. Among other things, the indictment provides details of plans by coup instigators to cooperate with certain terrorist organizations to accomplish their ultimate goal, a coup.
Basbug unexpectedly met Erdogan at 23:30 pm as Turkey was talking about the arrest warrants
The two officials had a one-hour meeting. In another unexpected move, prior to his gathering with Basbug, Prime Minister Erdogan reportedly also called Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin, who was making a speech at a meeting in southern province of Hatay, to the Turkish capital.
Ergin cut short his speech and left the hall when his aide gave him a note. Erdogan is thought to have a meeting with Ergin until 2:30 a.m. following the meeting with Basbug.
Media said, Erdogan and Basbug's assessments on Sledgehammer operation and Article 35 were on the agenda of the prime minister's meeting with the justice minister.
Turkish media claimed, that Basbug expressed uneasiness about the arrest warrants issued even for commanders who are fighting terrorism and called "fugitive" in warrants.
Reports said, the arrest warrants will affect the appoinments of the Supreme Military Council (YAS) meeting, which is scheduled to be held in early August. Military officers whose names are mentioned in the document will not be eligible for promotion at this year's YAS meeting.
TSK official policy does not allow the promotion of a military officer if he is on trial. “A military staff member who is imprisoned or is still being tried cannot be promoted,” stipulates Article 65 of the Law on TSK Personnel.
Related news reports:Güncelleme Tarihi: 27 Temmuz 2010, 14:01