World Bulletin / News Desk
A prosecutor's office in central Turkey is seeking the arrest of 55 military and ex-military pilots over links to the Fetullah Terror Organization (FETO), security sources said.
The chief public prosecutor in the central Anatolian province of Konya issued arrest warrants for 55 pilots in eight provinces – 54 lieutenants and ex-lieutenants along with a colonel – for their suspected links to the FETO terror group.
The prosecutor's office launched the probe for the pilots on charges of violating the Constitution, treason, and being a member of an armed terrorist organization.
A provincial security source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said that seven of the suspects had already been discharged from the armed forces.
According to information received from the Konya Prosecutor's Office, the suspects are located in the provinces of Konya, Ankara, Izmir, Istanbul, Kayseri, Eskisehir, Balikesir, and Adana. The operation to arrest the suspects is still underway, the sources added.
Led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, FETO is accused of orchestrating Turkey’s July 15 coup plot as well as being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.
The July 15 defeated coup left 246 people martyred and some 2,194 injured.Last Mod: 09 Kasım 2016, 13:44