Anti-FETO actions conform to human rights: Turkish FM

'We have to make sure such a coup bid never happens,' Mevlut Cavusoglu tells Parliamentary Assembly of Council of Europe

Anti-FETO actions conform to human rights: Turkish FM

World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkey is acting in accordance with international human rights conventions in its measures against the Fetullah Terror Organization (FETO), Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told European parliamentarians Wednesday. 

Speaking at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) during its autumn plenary session in the French city of Strasbourg on Wednesday, Cavusoglu said: “To clear elements of Fetullah Terrorist Organization from where they infiltrated, notably in public institutions, we should do whatever is needed. 

“We are acting in accordance with the principles of a law-abiding state. We act in accordance with European Convention on Human Rights and international responsibilities.” 

Later, in remarks made to the media following his meeting with PACE President Pedro Agramunt, he said Turkey would consider the Council of Europe's recommendations. 

About the extension in Turkey’s state of emergency, he said: “We had to prolong the state of emergency since the situation was too complicated. We have to make sure such a coup attempt never happens again. 

“We continue to cooperate with the Council of Europe during the process. We are informing them about our legislative regulations. The process [of taking action against FETO] runs [in accordance] with the Council of Europe [standards] and basic values,” he added. 

“The state of emergency will be lifted once the situation has normalized,” he said. 

Over 240 people were martyred and around 2,200 others injured when a section of the armed forces tried to overthrow the government. 

Turkey has accused FETO, led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, of organizing a long-running campaign to topple the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary. 

Earlier on Wednesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said 3,456 FETO-linked judges, prosecutors and top jurists had been dismissed so far following the bid, while 198 judges and prosecutors were reinstated. 

 
Last Mod: 12 Ekim 2016, 17:14
Add Comment