Missing Saudi journalist’s fate still uncertain

Jamal Khashoggi long been feared killed at Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2

Missing Saudi journalist’s fate still uncertain

Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi's fate is still uncertain since he went missing earlier this month.

Khashoggi has long been feared killed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul after he entered on Oct. 2 and was never seen exiting.

On the same day, 15 Saudis, including several officials, arrived in Istanbul on two planes and visited the consulate building while Khashoggi was still inside, Turkish police sources said. All of the identified individuals have since left Turkey.

Saudi authorities have yet to give a clear explanation of Khashoggi’s fate, while several countries -- particularly Turkey, the U.S. and the U.K. -- have expressed their desire that the matter should be elucidated as soon as possible.

Khashoggi's fiancee Hatice Cengiz, who was waiting outside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, called Yasin Aktay, advisor to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Turan Kislakci, head of the Turkish-Arab Media Association as Khashoggi didn't return from the consulate.

The Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office launched an investigation on the same day into claims about Khashoggi's detention in the consulate building.

- Oct. 4

The Saudi Consulate in Istanbul said Khashoggi went missing after he left the building and they were in contact with Turkish officials to bring out the facts.

- Oct. 6

Turkish police sources said 15 Saudis, including several officials, arrived in Istanbul on two planes and visited the Saudi Consulate while Khashoggi was still inside on Oct. 2. All of the identified individuals have since left Turkey.

- Oct. 7

In a Twitter post, Saudi Consulate rejected claims that Khashoggi was murdered at the consulate.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, "Whatever comes of this, we will be the ones to declare it to the world."

- Oct. 9 

U.S. President Donald Trump voiced concern over disappearance of the journalist.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on the Saudi government to support a “thorough investigation” into the matter.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said they have requested a detailed and transparent investigation from the Saudi government.

Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said: "A search will be conducted in the building [of consulate] as part of the investigation." 

Turkish diplomatic sources said Saudi Arabia invited Turkish experts and officials to visit the consulate.

The Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office assigned an acting chief prosecutor and a public prosecutor to carry out the procedural acts at the consulate as part of the investigation of the issue.

- Oct. 10 

Citing U.S. intelligence intercepts, the Washington Post reported Saudi Crown Prince Salman sought to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and detain him.

- Oct. 11

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said that Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office has launched an intense and comprehensive investigation into disappearance of Khashoggi.

Turkish Presidential spokesperson Ibrahim Kalin said a joint working group to probe Khashoggi’s disappearance was decided to be established upon Saudi Arabia's offer.

- Oct. 12

Washington Post and CNN claimed Turkey has “shocking” audio and visual evidence that indicate Khashoggi was killed at the consulate.

A Saudi delegation came to Turkey over Khashoggi's disappearance.

- Oct. 15

Saudi and Turkish officials in the joint working group gathered at police headquarters in Istanbul.

The meeting lasted for almost two hours and later the officials visited Saudi Consulate.

- Oct. 16

Turkish and Saudi officials left the consulate nine hours after they searched the building.

Pompeo met Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to discuss Khashoggi's disappearance.

Turkish Foreign Ministry sources said a search will be carried out at the Saudi consul's residence in Istanbul.

Saudi Arabia's Consul General in Istanbul Mohammad al-Otaibi left Turkey for Riyadh.

- Oct. 17

Pompeo arrived in Turkey after his visit to Riyadh and discussed Khashoggi case with Erdogan and Cavusoglu.

Add Comment