Six appear in court over Istanbul suicide bombing

Suspects include three foreign nationals, say judicial sources.

Six appear in court over Istanbul suicide bombing

World Bulletin/News Desk

Six people were sent to court in Istanbul on Tuesday in relation to a suicide bomb attack in the city’s Sultanahmet district last week.

According to judicial sources, the six suspects – including three foreign nationals – will be questioned by an investigating prosecutor.

The nationalities of the foreign suspects have not been released.

Last week, a woman blew herself up in the city’s Sultanahmet district, injuring police officer Kenan Kumas who died later at an Istanbul hospital. Another policeman was injured.

Turkish interior minister Efkan Ala later said that the suicide bomber had been identified but refrained from naming the perpetrator.

Some media outlets had claimed that last Tuesday’s suicide attacker was Elif Sultan Kalsen, a member of the far-left Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front, the DHKP-C.

However, Mehmet and Sirin Kalsen, parents of the purported bomber, said the following day that a dead body shown to them at Turkey's Forensic Medicine Institute did not belong to their daughter.

Other media sources later reported claims that the bomber was one Diana Ramazova, a citizen of the Russian Federation.

 

Last Mod: 13 Ocak 2015, 16:28
Add Comment