World Bulletin/News Desk
Turkey condemned a deadly bombing that targeted an Egyptian military checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula, killing 30 soldiers on Friday.
"We offer our condolences to the victims' families and wish for a fast recovery for the injured," Turkey's Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
"No reason legitimates terrorism," said the statement. "We condemn all forms of terrorism."
Following the attack, Egypt declared a three-month state of emergency in parts of the northern Sinai, during which a nighttime curfew will also be imposed.
For the past 16 months, the Egyptian army has waged a major offensive against militant groups said to be based in the Sinai Peninsula, which shares borders with both Israel and the blockaded Gaza Strip.
Since last year's ouster of Mohamed Morsi – Egypt's first freely elected president – by the army, there have been a spate of attacks in the peninsula on security personnel by unidentified militants.
Last Mod: 25 Ekim 2014, 22:51