World Bulletin/News Desk
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan accused the West on Monday of hypocrisy for its stance over the attack on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo and hostage-taking at a Jewish supermarket in Paris, while failing to condemn anti-Muslim acts in Europe.
Speaking alongside visiting Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Erdogan also slammed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for attending a rally in France on Sunday with other world leaders after the Paris attacks.
"How can a man who has killed 2,500 people in Gaza with state terrorism wave his hand in Paris, like people are waiting in excitement for him to do so? How dare he go there?" he said.
"You should first give an account for the children and the women you have killed," added Erdogan, who has been an outspoken critic of Israeli offensives against the Gaza Strip, despite close commercial ties between Israel and Turkey.
Erdogan did not attend the Sunday march, though Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu participated.
"The West's hypocrisy is obvious. As Muslims, we've never taken part in terrorist massacres. Behind these lie racism, hate speech and Islamophobia," Erdogan said. "Please, the administrations in those countries where our mosques are attacked need to take measures.
"Games are being played with the Islamic world, we need to be aware of this," said Erdogan.
Mosques in France, Germany and Sweden have been vandalised before and since the attacks in what Turkey and others see as a growing tide of anti-Muslim sentiment across the continent.
Erdogan also suggested the attacks that killed 17 people were a failing of the French security forces since the suspects had recently served prison sentences.
"French citizens carry out such a massacre, and Muslims pay the price. That's very meaningful ... Doesn't their intelligence organisation track those who leave prison?"
Erdogan blamed Islamophobia for the West's reluctance to take in more Syrian refugees after nearly four years of civil war, while Turkey hosts more than 1.6 million Syrians.
"Turkey will continue to fight... against Israel's reckless actions that do not recognise law," the Turkish president said.
Abbas said on Monday he had participated in the rally at the invitation of French President Francois Hollande.
"I haven't seen anyone trying to prevent me from doing so. I was welcomed very well," he said.
"We have a strong relationship with France ... I received an invitation from the president and participated."
Israeli media reported earlier that France had asked Netanyahu to stay away from the march but he ignored the request and attended anyway.
The same message was conveyed to Abbas, Channel Two television and Israeli newspapers reported. But when Netanyahu rejected the appeals of the French government, Abbas was swiftly invited, they said.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 13 Ocak 2015, 00:07