Turkish deputy PM rejects drones killed civilians

Bekir Bozdag says those killed by armed drones were PKK terrorists 

Turkish deputy PM rejects drones killed civilians

World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag on Thursday dismissed claims that armed drones used during a counter-terror operation against the PKK in the country’s southeast had killed civilians.

"The images from the drone are very clear. They, the four people, had been followed by the security forces for a long time. The drones struck them. They were armed," the deputy minister said. 

His statement came following a claim by the country’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) that the drones had caused civilian casualties in southeastern Hakkari province on Aug. 31.

Last week, CHP Istanbul Deputy Sezgin Tanrikulu tweeted: "The unmanned combat aerial vehicle Bayraktar struck civilians, the innocent [people]. I will continue to follow this issue."

On Wednesday, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim also dismissed CHP allegations and accused the party of supporting the terrorists. 

The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization also by the U.S. and the EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015.

Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of some 1,200 Turkish security personnel and civilians, including a number of women and children.

Last Mod: 14 Eylül 2017, 11:54
Add Comment