Turkish FM: Saudi remarks on Khashoggi 'unsatisfying'

Question on missing body of killed Saudi journalist Khashoggi remains unanswered, says Mevlut Cavusoglu

Turkish FM: Saudi remarks on Khashoggi 'unsatisfying'

Turkey is "unsatisfied" by the statements made by Saudi Arabia's chief prosecutor's office on the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the country's foreign minister said on Thursday.

"I want to say that I find some explanations [of the prosecutor’s office] unsatisfying," Mevlut Cavusoglu said at a conference held in the Mediterranean resort town of Alanya in southern Antalya province.

"We find the steps taken positive but inadequate," he added.

The foreign minister's remarks come shortly after Saudi Arabia’s chief prosecutor’s office announced it had charged 11 out of 21 suspects in relation to the killing of Khashoggi.

Cavusoglu urged Saudi authorities to reveal the instructors behind the killing of Khashoggi in order to close the process of the Khashoggi case.

The foreign minister further asserted that the main question which remains unanswered is where the body of Khashoggi is, adding: "There is so far no answer on this matter".

He added that Turkey will continue to closely follow the issue.

At a press conference held in capital Riyadh, the chief prosecutor announced his intention to call for the death penalty against anyone found guilty of ordering and carrying out the journalist’s murder.

The prosecutor’s office also said it was awaiting Turkey's response to its request for evidence and sound recordings of the crime.

Khashoggi, a frequent contributor to The Washington Post, was killed on Oct. 2 inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

After weeks of denying any involvement in the crime, Saudi Arabia later admitted that Khashoggi had been killed inside the consulate but claimed the Saudi royal family had no prior knowledge of any plot to murder the journalist.

Add Comment